The 3rd Cape Town Fringe Festival has just been celebrated in the Mother city from 22 September to 8 October in venues in the Cape Town CBD, Langa, Khayelitsha and Observatory.
This exciting festival showcased a programme of provocative, edgy, bold and innovative works that represent the best of what independent South African theatre has to offer. Sponsored by Standard Bank and the City of Cape Town amongst others, the 2016 17-day festival was a fantastic success – ending on a high note with the first-ever Fringe Fresh Awards. Fringe Fresh Awards convenor Tracey Saunders worked with a panel of theatre critics and industry leaders to select works that were felt to be worthy of special recognition. Every judge attended each and every one of the over 80 productions on this year's programme.
• International - Police Cops
• Local - Dangled
• Bronze - Nombasa
• Silver - Fish Wives
• Gold - Msaki and the Golden Circle
FRESH FABULOUS ROLL OF HONOUR
• Makukhanye Arts Room
• Theatre Arts Admin Collective
• Theatre in the Back Yard
• Ubuntu Arts Academy
• Zabalaza Festival
• Bronze - Jason Jacobs - Director - Stof Rooi
• Silver - Alan Parker – Choreographer/Performer - Sacre for One
• Gold - Thando Doni - Director - Ubuze Bam
• David Viviers - The Finkelsteins are Coming to Dinner
FRESH PRODUCTION/ EXPERIENCE
• Bronze - You Suck and Other Inescapable Truths
• Silver - #BalletMustFall
• Gold - Fabric of the Universe
Congratulations to all the talented performers.
For more details visit the Fringe website